Friday, April 8, 2022

                     Smoky Black-eyed Peas

 

I was raised by a Southern father and spent some time in Southern Arkansas with my grandmother. I learned to love Southern foods, like biscuits and gravy, cornbread, and greens of many types of beans. My favorite is Black-eyed peas. I sat on the front porch many times shucking beans and peas with Mamaw. Use fresh if you can find them but for years now all I can find is caned or frozen.

  

 

2 ( 14 ounce ) cans black-eyed peas, drained

1 smoked ham hock

2 cups water

2 cups chicken broth

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon white pepper

¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

 

In a deep 10" or 12" Dutch oven over 12 or 18 charcoals under oven. Add all ingredients, bring to a boil. Remove 2 or 3 charcoals from under oven and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minute to 1 hour. Remove ham hock. serve.

Option, You can shred meat on ham hock and return to peas. 

Option 2. some like to cook with greens such as collards or Swiss chard. 

 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment