Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Show Stacking

I have new comers tell me that they saw a friend stack 4 ovens high, and it was so neat. For show, yes it is, but for practicality, not so good. To keep them in balance, you must start with a large one and work up to the smallest. That makes your bottom charcoal count off, OOO, BURN, and to check the bottom one, you must remove the top three. To much work for me. I don't mined removing the lid a time or too, for spectators to see what I am cooking. To much work it they are stacked. Stacking dose save about 15-20 charcoals, but charcoals are cheep. You have fun cooking any way it is fun for you. Thats what dutch oven cooking is all about.

Good friends, Good food, good fun.

3 comments:

  1. I have a friend who has been DO cooking for many years and is very good. At a large gathering and with a lot of help, they stacked
    48 DOs all with bread. I would have liked to have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been a good photo op. I know it works, but I very seldum do it. Dick Stucki and I have cooked for over 100 Rotery men and didn,t Stacked. Its a personal think. Like I said its showy, do it if you like. Its part of the DO cooking fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't usually stack. But then, I've never cooked for hundreds. The most I've ever cooked a full meal for is about 15.

    ReplyDelete