Tuesday, May 10, 2022

               Baking Powder Biscuits

 

 For years I tried to make my own biscuits but they were never right, so I used Bisquick. My grandmother made the best. She tried to teach me when I was 11 years old. I followed recipe after recipe with no success. I talk to main people and finally someone told me the secret. "Don't work or Knead the dough very much". I finally got it. Biscuit in the Dutch oven are the best. Ditch the Bisquick. 

 2¼ cups all-purpose flour 

4 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon cream of tartar 

½ teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons sugar

1/3 cup shortening

1/3 cup milk

1 large egg

 

Sift together flour, baking powder, cream of Tatar, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter to make coarse crumbs Add milk, then egg. Mix with a fork around bowl. Turn out on to a floured surface. Knead five or six times ( no more ). Roll out to ½ inch thickness*; cut with 2 inch cutter. Place in a 12" Dutch oven. Brush tops of biscuits with a milk wash. Place lid on oven. Bake with 8 charcoals under oven and 16 charcoals on lid. After 5 or 6 minutes remove oven from over the bottom charcoals. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes more or until golden brown. Serve with butter or jam.

 

 

* always start to roll from center out in all four directions. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment