Friday, March 14, 2014

Vera's Baked Beand

  " This recipe has been handed down by Vera Sorensen of Manti, Utah and loved by everyone who has tried it. You'll love it too!"
That is a quot from Dick Stucki's first book, Dutch Oven Cookin'
I have held back from posting this recipe Because it is not mine. Dick is gone now, and I am posting it as a tribute to him.
I cooked this dish many times at demos, and our last D.O.G. out at the Mill. This dish is not just a side bean dish. With the amount of meat in it, it makes a good main dish. my understanding this recipe is about 100 years old.

½ lb bacon
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion
1 small green pepper
½ cup brown sugar
½ catsup
16 oz. homestyle chili sauce
2 T. mustard
½ lb.pre-cooked ham, cubed
2 31 oz. cans pork and beans

Brown bacon and ground beef in 12" Dutch oven, preheated over 9-10 coals. Chop onions and green peppers and sauté with meat until tender. Drain off excess fat.Add brown sugar, catsup, chili sauce and mustard. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add beans and ham. Cover and add approximately 15 coals to lid. Simmer foe 2 hours.

Dick passed away this last summer and will be very much missed by the Dutch oven world and all he has touched.
P.S. He Marred Kat and I 15 years ago. We will cook together again some day.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe. I saved it for a future try. Thanks for sharing it, and sorry about your friends passing. Have a good one.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott. I like your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    My name is Joanna and I have read your blog and I really liked your recipes! I work for a website called myTaste.com and I would love for you to join us! :)

    www.mytaste.com is a search engine that collects food blogs. We already have over 3000 blogs and if you join us you will take benefit from the trafic that we are sending to your blog.

    Hopefully with your recipes your blog will be on the top of the food blogs list! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at info@mytaste.com

    To join myTaste, just go to www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    Best regards,
    Joanna
    mytaste.com

    ReplyDelete