Saturday, January 21, 2012

Still Haven't Cooked



I still haven't broke that cookers block, but I am thinking about cooking this week end, in the Sportman's cook-off. Hopefully that will brake my block. Today I will give you a recipe I have cooked years ago, as I have done before.

Arkansas Hush Puppies.

I gave you a method for deep frying a few weeks back. Use an oil change pan to concentrate the heat.

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk 1 tablespoon onion flakes
8 dashes Tabasco sauce
Canola or peanut oil for deep frying

In a medium mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, onion flakes, and salt. mix well with a whisk. In a small mixing bowl, add milk, eggs, and Tabasco sauce. Mix with whisk. Add to cornmeal mix, and mix well. Heat oil in a 12", deep Dutch oven, About 3" to 4" deep, to 365°f . Drop 1 tablespoon of batter at a time into the hot oil. ( be very careful not to splash.) Do not over crowd the oven. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown, and turn over, and cook the same, on other side. Drain on a paper towel. Serve hot with dipping sauce of your choice. I.E. Mustard sauce, Creole sauce, Ranch, Remoulade, (recipe to fallow on next posting.) or, what ever.

These go well with, Arkansas Fryed Catfish, Hoopen' Johns, ( Black-eyed Peas and Rice) Jambalaya, and all kinds of Bean soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment