Monday, November 14, 2011

Tomato Aspic



Clanton family TOMATO ASPIC

There are no rules to blogging, I think, but I made a rule of my own, that this is a Dutch oven cooking blog. Today I am going to post something, that is not cooked in a Dutch oven. I fact, not cooked at all. Well, the water is wormed up. It could be done in the old black pot. I am posting it as a side dish for Thanksgiving. It has been on our Thanksgiving and Christmas table for over 70 years. Aspics were very popular in the 40s and 50s and seem to be making a come back. Please give me some feed back on what you think of it. Thanks.

Ron Clanton

The outlaw Gourmet





1 1/2 c. tomato juice, heated ( I prefer V8)
1 1/2 c. tomato juice, cold
4 envelopes gelatin unflavored
1 t. seasoned salt
1 t. onion powder
3T. Girades (original) Italian Dressing. Or vinegar & oil
1 1/2 T. lemon juice
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
4 1/2 t. pickle juice
1 t. vinegar
Black olives, green onions, pickles, avocado, green olives, celery, hard cooked eggs, bay shrimp or crab, chopped.

Dissolve gelatin in hot juice. Add cold juice. Add all ingredients, Stir together well. Pour in a 9" x 12" baking dish. chill in refrigerator until jelled. Serve with dollop of mayo.

1 comment:

  1. we need more aspic in our life's. i try a speical of poached egg in ham aspic at a restaurant i worked at. made 20 sold 1 at 10 over 2 days and gave the rest away. aspic is never given the credit due. yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete