- 1 pound Italian hot sausage
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 to 5 cups (1 1/2 pounds) red or green seedless grapes, stems removed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons dry red wine, preferably Chianti
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Fresh Foccaccia or Ciabatta bread, to serve
Preheat a 12” deep Dutch oven to 500 degrees, with 18 charcoals on the bottom, and about 24 to 28 charcoals on top.
Parboil the sausages in water to cover for 8 minutes to rid them of excess fat, in a 12” Dutch oven, with 20 charcoals under it.
Melt the butter in the 12" deep, preheated oven, Add the grapes, and toss to coat. Over moderately high heat add the wine. Stir with a wooden spoon for a few minutes until the wine has reduced by half.Using tongs, transfer the parboiled sausages to the 12” deep oven and push them down in the grapes so the sausages will not brown too quickly. Roast in the oven, turning the sausages once, until the grapes are soft and the sausages have browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the top heat from the oven. Using just the bottom heat, add the balsamic vinegar. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the oven, and allow the vinegar and juices to reduce until they are thick and syrupy. With a slotted spoon, transfer the sausages and grapes to a serving platter.
Pour the sauce over the sausages and grapes and serve immediately, accompanied with fresh bread.