Monday, March 7, 2011

Pecan Coffeecake

A good coffeecake in the morning before fishing is always welcome in my camp. I would fix it the night before, so it will be there at first light. When I come back to camp I can then fix a big breakfast. Hobo Eggs, or Pecan waffles. Pecans are one of my favorite nuts. Maybe because my Dad was from the South, and I spent a lot of time there with my Grandmother learning to cook. This recipe uses a sourdough starter.

Pecan Topping, see below
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup sourdough starter, see friendship starter a few posts back
1/4 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream

Grease a 10" dutch oven, preheat to 350°f. with 7 charcoals on the bottom and 13 on top. Prepare Pecan topping; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs until mixture is fluffy. Stir in sourdough starter and milk. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to sourdough mixture a little at a time, and adding sour cream, a little at a time, starting with and ending with the flour mixture. Mixing well after each addition. Flood in raisins. Pour into prepared 10" oven. Sprinkle with Pecan Topping. Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides. Remove oven from heat and let cool a few minutes before serving.

Pecan Topping:
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1 cop chopped pecans

In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in pecans.

To cream the butter mixture, start with a fork and change to a whisk, or use an old fashion hand mixer. I keep a battery hand mixer in my camping gear, and fresh batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment