Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sourdough/Buttermilk Biscuits

I have posted biscuits before, but this one from the 1800s is one of my favorites. I have been making these, off and on for 20 years now, but not for a couple of years now. I lost my sourdough starter, and just got a new one going. The one I lost was about 50 years old. I was crushed to loss it. Take care of your starter, feed it. Love it.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons lard, melted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix all dry ingredients. Then add the lard, sourdough starter, and buttermilk. mix to a stiff but manageable dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth. Roll to 1/2-in thick. Cut with a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter and place in a well greased 10" or 12" dutch oven, touching each other. Bake at 450°f for 10 to 15 minutes. removing all bottom heat when tops start to brown.
for 10" 8 charcoals on the bottom and 18 on top, for 12" 10 on the bottom, and 20 on top. Should make about 8 biscuits.

Feed your starter with 1 cup of water, and 1cup of flour. When you get to much starter, share with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment