Monday, February 21, 2011

Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings

I have been looking for one of these for years. I found this in some old "Cooies" papers. Hand written, but no name, just coosie. I don't normally post a recipe until I have cooked it, but I was so excited I am posting it now and will cook it very soon. Words in ( ) I have added. This should serve about 8, so add or subtract as needed. This would normally be served at the bunk house only, not out on the trail, unless they just came across a home stedder or farm. Chickens were not taken on a cattle drive.

10 cups water (chicken stock or broth)
6 chicken thighs
6 chicken legs
5 cups ( all-purpose) flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons ( kosher) salt
1 tablespoon ( fresh ground black ) pepper
2 cups (heavy) cream
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 large onion, cut small
6 carrots, cut small
salt
pepper
(1/4 cup) parsley (I may try chopped cilantro)

Heat the water ( stock ) in a large, heavy pot (14" deep dutch oven )and cook the chicken thighs and legs (over 11 to 12 charcoals ) 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from fire and allow to cool, ( reserving the stock in oven) Remove the chicken and throw out the skin. Pick chicken from the bones and set aside.
To make the dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, (kosher ) salt and pepper, in a large mixing well ( bowl) Add cream, stirring just until dough is stick. Turn out to floured board and knead the dough until you can roll it out very thin ( 1/6 " ).
Add garlic, onions, and carrots to the pot and reheat to boiling. Cut dough into dumplings ( about 3/4" by 2" to 4" ) Add the dumplings to boiling pot. Simmer (about ) 20 minutes. Add the chicken meat and salt and pepper. Add parsley and serve.

I could not find a date with this, but from the looks of it and other papers, I would say 1915 to 1930 maybe. I can't wait to try is.

No comments:

Post a Comment