Friday, January 7, 2011

Beer Pork Ribs with Sauerkraut

About 20 years ago, there was an I.D.O.S. rule, that once a dish won a cook off, it couldn't be used again in an I.D.O.S. cook off. I don"t think it was really in forced, but I followed it. I saw some cooks cook the same dish all summer, then doing a new one the next year. Well, that is why I have so many old ones I'm bringing to you now. Many of them have won a place, I just don't remember which dish and which place and which cook off. I hope some of them work for you. I think I did this one in Morgan Utah. The opening celebration of a new highway, that had been an old historic trail, or something Like that.

2 1/2 pounds baby back pork ribs
1 tablespoon oil, ( I like Canola, if has a high burn point)
1 12 ounce can of beer
2 16 ounce bags or jars of Sauerkraut, drained
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds


Cut pork ribs into 2 or 3 rib portions. In a 14" dutch oven, over 14 to 16 charcoals, brown ribs in the oil, a few at a time. Pour of drippings. Return all ribs to oven. Add beer, salt, pepper, and caraway seed. heat to boiling. reduce to 8 to 10 charcoals, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in sauerkraut and brown sugar, cover and simmer 45 minutes longer, or until rib are tender. Serve with my Tomato up-side-down cornbread; Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment