Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Diabetic Hoppin' Johns

Last year on Wednesday, December 30. I gave you a recipe for Luck and Prosperity. This year I will give one for the Diabetic group, but it would be good for all of us, as well. It's been a little cold out, here in Oregon, So I've not been staying out with my pots, and forget to get pictures. I will try to correct that. Keep looking back for older recipes. and make comments so I know if they are helping any.

Hoppin' Johns

1 lb. black-eyed peas, dried, cleaned and peeked
2 qt. water
1 medium onion, chopped
2 smoked turkey legs
Red pepper flakes, adjust to your taste
1 cup cooked rice

Soak the black-eyed peas overnight in clod water. Drain. Place the peas in a 10" dutch oven and add the water, onion, smoked turkey legs,and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 2 hours. ( remember to start new charcoals after 45 minutes, so they will be ready) or until peas are soft. Re move the legs. Let cool, remove meat and chop and return to oven. Stir in the rice or serve it in a mound on the plate and pour peas over it. Serves 6,

Exchanges
3 1/2 Starch
3 Very Lean Meat

Calories 365
Calories from Fat 17
Total Fay 2g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 35mg
Sodium 920mg
Total Carbohydrate .55g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar 7g
Protein 34g

Let me know what you would like me to post for you. Make comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment